How you feel regarding death, how you grieve a loved one and how you console someone during a difficult time all help you nurture yourself and grow. Death is something we can never avoid. Just looking at the newspaper reminds us of the countless lives that were lost today.
In dealing with death, we may want to be sympathetic and comforting to all those around us. Pieces of writing or art are always good distractions to help with the grief. Relating a poem to your loved one who passed is sure to help you see a silver lining, hard as it may be.
It can be difficult to find the right words to say during someone’s eulogy or when you’ve lost somebody of your own. In loving memory quotes aren’t hard to come by. But deciding the appropriate thing to say based on the context of the situation can be daunting.
Today, we’ve created a list of popular quotes and types of quotes based on the relevant context to help inspire you find words of your own. The following quotes may even help you see the light where previously you only saw darkness.
- 11 Ways You Can Help Someone Who Has Lost A Loved One
- Heartfelt Ways And Memorial Keepsakes To Say Happy Mother’s Day In Heaven
- What Is The Rainbow Bridge And After The Loss Of Our Pets, Why Do We Say They Crossed It?
In Loving Memory Quotes for Any Instance
First, let’s familiarize ourselves with a few quotes that can be used for any condolence messages. These are our top 5 favourite quotes to remember someone who passed:
- "Your wings were ready, but my heart was not."
- "We only part to meet again."
- "Goodbyes are not forever. Goodbyes are not the end. They simply mean I’ll miss you Until we meet again."
- "The years may pass, but still, you stay. As near and dear as yesterday."
- "Beautiful memories silently kept. Of one that we loved and will never forget."
Categories of Quotes in Remembrance
If you find yourself at a loss for words after the death of a loved one, don’t worry. It’s completely natural for that to happen. Whether it’s a close acquaintance, a family member or a friend, the best idea is to speak from the heart.
Should you find yourself in a situation such as this, you might take a look at some of the quotes we’ve listed below. These will help and inspire you to say the words your heart desires.
1. Quotes for a Eulogy
The passing of anyone is a great sorrow to all of human kind. Each time someone passes away, it causes immense grief to all who were around them. But its importance to share in the love they left and celebrate their life.
A eulogy at their funeral with some memorial quotes is one of the best ways to do so. Eulogies are meant to enlighten people of the person who passed; their achievements, their hobbies, the relationship they shared with their families.
The person in charge of a eulogy carries a great responsibility. Fitting someone’s entire life into a short speech isn’t easy. It’s even harder when you yourself are grieving.
Inserting a quote that relates to the life of the deceased is a great way to engage everyone at the funeral whilst remembering them. Below is a list of 10 in loving memory sayings you might find useful while writing a eulogy:
- "Wherever a beautiful soul has been, there has been a trail of memories."
- "There are special people in our lives that never leave, even after they’re gone."
- "To live in hearts we leave behind, is not to die."
- "We know you’d be with us today, if heaven wasn’t so far away."
- "In life we loved you dearly, in death we love you still. In our hearts you hold a place, no one else ever will."
- "I have so much of you in my heart." – John Keats
- "And I will see you again someday, in the clouds."
- "There are no goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart." – Mahatma Gandhi
- "Goodbyes hurt when the story is not finished and the book has been closed forever."
- "Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality." – Emily Dickinson
2. Sayings to put on Sympathy Cards
A sympathy message is never easy to write. What can you say to someone who just lost their entire world? A mere “I’m sorry for your loss,” just doesn’t cut it.
Nonetheless, you may want to show your support to the bereaved during this difficult time in their life.
If you’re unable to visit them in person, make sure your condolences reach them. Often, the support of your surroundings can lessen the burden of having lost a loved one.
For your sympathy card, you could include in loving memory sayings and quotes that relate to the deceased. Remembering the cheerful life that once was could help family members overcome the grief and sorrow of their loss.
Below, we have listed 10 of our favourite quotes that are appropriate to put on a sympathy card:
- "Words fall short but hopefully caring goes the distance. Thinking of you at this difficult time."
- "Praying you’ll have all the time you need for God’s love to gently fill the empty spaces with comfort and peace."
- "Though our words can do little, we hope our thoughts and prayers will support you at this time."
- "While there is no way we can feel your pain, we do feel your loss. Peace and love to you and your family during this sorrowful time."
- "I can’t take the empty space that’s been left, but I want you to know I care and I’m sorry for your loss."
- Sometimes there are no words.
- "Wishing you strength, support, comfort, and caring as you recover."
- "May you find comfort in the love of friends and family and never forget the cherished memories."
- "May the beautiful memories that fill your heart help to bring you comfort."
- "Thinking of you and hoping each day that passes will let in a little more sunshine."
3. Quotes Remembering Mom
The loss of a parent is undoubtedly the most difficult loss for a child to face. Our parents can’t be with us forever. Despite knowing that, the sorrow never truly goes away.
Speaking at your own mother’s eulogy is something most people have to face at some point in their lives.
Even if you’re facing the loss of a friend or acquaintances mother, this is the worst type of loss one can be left to deal with. The aftermath of losing one’s mother is usually losing balance on the very ground they walk.
We can’t ask you to be prepared to speak coherently at a time of loss like that. But we could always help the words come out a bit cleared with some in loving memory sayings for mom. So, here is a list of 10 quotes that you could relate to the loss of a mother:
- "Mom, your life was a blessing, your memory a treasure; you are loved beyond words and missed beyond measure."
- "I have an angel watching over me, she is my mom."
- "Sometimes, the person you need to talk to most is in heaven."
- "I wish God didn’t need you in heaven because I need you here."
- "She made broken look beautiful and strong look invincible. She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like a pair of wings."
- “There is something about losing a mother that is permanent and inexpressible – a wound that will never quite heal.” – Susan Wiggs
- "Remembering my mom who asked for so little but gave so very much."
- "You saw me take my first breath; I saw you take your last."
- “Motherhood: All love begins and ends there.” – Robert Browning
- "Time eases the edge of grief; Memory turns back every leaf."
4. Quotes in Memory of Dad
More often than not, a dad is a hero. Every child looks up to his/ her dad as feels protected, safe and loved. Losing a father means losing security and safety in one’s life.
Fathers don’t receive enough love in their lifetimes. You know the saying that goes, “Most men receive their first bouquet of flowers at their funeral.” The saying is true, men and particularly fathers, don’t receive the appreciation they deserve while they are still with us.
Losing a father is a devastating event in anybody’s life. Their relationship with their children and their families is one of the strongest relationships known to man. Coming up with words or in loving memory sayings for dad and this relationship leaves most speechless.
If you or your loved ones have lost a father, or a father-figure recently, you might be looking for comfort. In that case, we implore you to look at these 10 quotes to help ease the pain:
- "The world changes from year to year, our lives from day to day; but the love and memory of you shall never pass away."
- "He asked for so little, yet gave so very much."
- "Dad, heaven is too far away."
- "Dad, I never thought I’d have to do life without you."
- "My dad isn’t here, but he’s watching in heaven."
- "Heaven needed a hero. God picked my dad."
- "In memory of a man whose life touched so many. To my father – may you rest in peace."
- “He has achieved success who has lived well, laughed often, and loved much.” – Bessie Anderson Stanley
- "Our Dad will be in our hearts forever."
- "He was first my dad, then became my best friend. Now he’s my angel."
5. In Loving Memory Quotes for Grandparents
Grandparents provide the unconditional love that can only be matched by a mother or a father. Grandparents are the guardian angels of a family and deserve every bit of love and kindness.
A lot of people don’t even get to meet their grandparents. So, if you are one who has met and spent time with at least one of your grandparents, you should consider yourself very lucky.
Losing the shelter of wisdom, experience and warmth is a difficult thing to grieve. The sorrow of losing a secondary set of parents never truly goes away. And so, we suggest nurturing and loving your grandparents while you still can.
When faced with the loss of a grandparent, take a look at one of these 10 in loving memory sayings and quotes to remember your protectors:
- "I have two angels in heaven and I call them Grandma and Grandpa."
- "My grandparents had silver in their hair and gold in their hearts."
- "God saw them getting tired and a cure was not to be. So, He put His arms around them and said Come to me."
- "Sometimes I look up, smile, and say “I know that was you”."
- “As is a tale, so is a life: Not how long it is, but how good it is, is what matters” – Seneca
- "You left me beautiful memories, your love is still my guide. And although we cannot see you, you’re always at my side."
- "I know heaven must be beautiful right now, because they have you."
- "What we once have enjoyed we can never lose. All that we love deeply becomes part of us." – Helen Keller
- "We carry you with us always, everywhere we go."
- “This loss feels like an ache between my ribs / it's sad and scary / but soft and steady” —Emmy Marucci.
They Will be Missed
Loss, death and everything else surrounding it puts you in an awkward limbo state of being. You can’t believe they’re gone but you can no longer crawl into their arms when you’re sad.
Death brings about an overwhelming amount of grief and it seems like you can never get over it. Whatever supreme being you may believe it, you must also believe that they never burden you with that which you can’t handle.
So, trust you’ll overcome the grief; not altogether but day by day it’ll get just a little bit better.
We hope the quotes in today’s article helped you in some way. Let us know if you would like more articles such as this one.
More to read: